I’ve worked at several companies, including two professional software engineering positions and two major volunteer positions.
Contract Software Engineer with Freifunk from May 2019 to June 2020.
(This position began through the Google Summer of Code program.)
- Worked with a global remote team to develop a greenfield telecommunications project.
- Designed and built a testing framework for eventually consistent systems.
- Collaborated on the design of the qaul.net base service API.
- Leveraged Rust’s powerful static type system to create ergonomic and easy-to-use APIs.
Software Engineering Intern at CancerIQ, Inc. during Summer 2018.
- Worked with a small team of engineers to develop clinical software in a DevOps-heavy environment.
- Designed and implemented graph algorithms to search and analyze health data using the Rust language.
- Worked within an agile framework with 2-week sprints to rapidly deploy new features and fixes.
- Created a monitoring and alerting system to ensure uptime of a large Kubernetes deployment.
Open Source Software Development for Dr. Steve Huss-Lederman from Fall 2017 to May 2019.
- Developed front-end, back-end, and database components of the Open Energy Dashboard.
- Built and tested a high-capacity API for data transfer between measurement devices and PostgreSQL.
- Performed user experience testing with A/B tests and in-person interviews.
- Refactored a large React.js codebase to significantly improve developer productivity and performance.
Software Engineering Intern at GudTech, Inc. during Summer 2017.
- Worked with a small team of engineers to build developer productivity tooling.
- Built command line tools using Go, working with the internals of Docker and Docker Compose.
- Worked with senior engineers to orchestrate onboarding and automated testing of microservices.
See my full resume for more, including volunteer positions and college work experience.
- Open Energy Dashboard, a multi-platform energy meter data visualization software built with Node.js, React, and Redux.
- rloris, a Rust implementation of layer 7 HTTP DoS attacks leveraging fearless concurrency
- Evolve SBrain, a Rust genetic programming engine using the SBrain programming language
- RandomUA, a browser extension designed to enhance privacy by changing the user’s reported browser software
- workctl, a Rust library for multithreaded programming, exposing useful mid-level building blocks
- libUI-rs, Rust bindings to platform APIs to enable Rusty GUI app development
- Even more…
I write about projects I work on and try to record and synthesize what I learn about tech, society, and more.
I’ve written tutorials on type systems and what can be done with them (for instance, session types), binary reverse engineering, and application security topics like embedding malware in PDF files.
I’ve also written about topics ranging from hacker superstitions and how spending way too much time customizing my desktop is productive, actually to repairable hardware and free software and why it matters, for individuals and for society as a whole.
📓 Recent Posts
- 'Secure' Is Meaningless Sep 21, 2021
- Modular Synthesis and UNIX Aug 01, 2020
- Back to Zsh Jul 14, 2020
- Names, Legal Names, and Fractally Deferred Responsibility May 11, 2020
- Stop Making Students Use Eclipse Apr 11, 2020